Craft metal and alchohol inks are an easy way to create a worn, vintage look. This technique can be used to create many different projects but with Valentine’s Day right around the corner I thought I would make a sweet little decoration in honor of the holiday.
- Cherish digital kit AND Cherish Borders Elements pack BY ViVa Artistry
- Valentine Sentiments digital stamps by Arty Pants Digital stamps.
- craft metal
- alcohol inks -LATTE, RUST, ESPRESSO, AND PITCH BLACK
- alcohol blending solution
- alcohol ink applicator
- precious metals leafing finish
- oval punch
- Spellbinder dies – SCALLOPED HEART, FANCY TAGS
- E6000 glue, ribbon, paper flowers
Cut the scalloped heart shape using the largest and next largest dies from craft metal.
Add two layers of paint. Instead of stroking on the paint dab it on so that you are a creating a textured surface on the metal.
I used about a 2:1 ratio of the lighter colors (Latte and Rust) to the darker colors (Espresso and Pitch Black) when I dotted them on my applicator. This was followed with a little squirt of Blending Solution.
Randomly dab the applicator onto the heart shape. Let dry and repeat until you have the desired effect.
I used the pretty flower bouquet from the CHERISH BORDERS ELEMENTS PACK on a background from CHERISH DIGITAL KIT along with a sentiment from the VALENTINE SENTIMENTS DIGITAL STAMPS. These were sized to fit the heart and my oval punch and printed out on matte photo paper.
The scalloped heart die was used to cut around the flower. I wasn’t too particular about the edges because they are covered by the metal heart. I added a little brown ink around the edge to shade the flower.
The Fancy Tags die was used to make a background for the sentiment the same way the heart was made.
Adhere the sentiment to the Fancy Tag and the flower to the back of the heart. Small brads were used to attach the tag to the front of the heart.
Small holes were punched at the top of the heart and metal wire was used to create a handle.
A small flower and ribbon was added to the top of the handle.
Thanks so much for stopping by today and have a very sweet and happy Valentine’s Day!
Other Articles by jknath:
- Christmas Pillow Box - December 16th, 2013
- PUMPKIN BOX - November 20th, 2013
- Halloween Matchbox Pop-up - October 17th, 2013
- Mustache Gift Bag - September 4th, 2013
- BANNER SHADOW BOX - August 21st, 2013