Less than two weeks until Christmas? Oh, my! I’m starting to feel a little panicked. I have a bit of shopping and LOTS of crafting still to do.
I never have enough magnets on our fridge to hold all my kids’ artwork, my endless to-do lists and all the little bits of life I want to keep handy. Bottle Cap magnets are a fun and useful solution, adding a seasonal pop of color and cheer, and helping me stay a little more organized this Christmas season.
Here’s what you’ll need to make a set of your own:
- Holly Day Wishes Page Kit by Pixel Gypsy
- bottle caps (I used six for my set, acquired from the empty Jones Soda and Blue Moon bottles in my recycling bin)
- 3/4″ round ceramic craft magnets
- 1″ circle punch
- E600 glue or other superglue
- Diamond Glaze or ModPodge Dimensional
I began by creating a 4×6 canvas in Photoshop. With the papers and elements I wanted to use open, I created six 1″ circles, clipped my paper to them, and added my elements on top. Print this 4×6, either at home or at a local 1-hour photo (my preferred method), and punch out your circles using your 1″ punch.
Set your punched circles aside for now and glue magnets onto the back of your bottle caps. A little dab of E6000 or Superglue will have those babies stuck for good!
Now flip them over and add your punched circles inside. I like to use a double-sided adhesive to tack them to the bottom of the cap. This way they don’t float up once I add my top coat of glaze. With all your punched circles fit snuggly into your caps, add a thin layer of Diamond Glaze or ModPodge Dimensional glaze to the top. I like to make a circle around the outer edge, then fill in the middle. Use your finger, a toothpick, or an opened paper clip to pop any small air bubbles you might have floating in your glaze (and DON’T shake the bottle before you open it. That’s a sure recipe for lots of bubbles on your project).
Let your glaze dry completely and you’re done! I added mine to a baking sheet to create a little memo center for my gift lists and favorite cards.
Other Articles by sporte91:
- Personalized Clothes Hangers - July 13th, 2012
- Super Hero Masks - June 6th, 2012
- Hybrid Cupcakes - May 2nd, 2012
- Wine Glass Markers - April 11th, 2012
- Three Little Birds Wall Art - March 24th, 2012