As soon as I saw Matahati Design’s new Spring Medleykit in The Digichick store, I just KNEW that I needed to try the little idea that kept popping up in my head. Is it even possible to Mod Podge a plastic egg?
Let me show you how!
First, go grab some gorgeous digital paper and print it out on regular old copy paper. We want it to be copy paper because that stuff is thinner than photo paper or presentation paper. I thought I would try covering three eggs, so I printed three different “swatches” that were approximately 3.66 x 8.5 inches.
I cut the pieces apart, then started covering the first egg. Now, please understand that I was totally flying-by-the-seat-of-my-pants here. I thought I would just try it and see how it goes. This is what I did:
1 – I sanded the middle of the egg just to make sure the Mod Podge would adhere properly. I have no idea if this is important, but a bonus was that I smoothed the little tab thingy (oh, so technical!) that held the two sides together so that my surface was nice and smooth.
2 – I used 2-sided tape to glue the egg to the edge of the paper strip.
3 – I applied Mod Podge with a foam brush to the paper, and then to the egg itself. Well, okay, I added the Mod Podge to the FIRST egg, but I totally forgot for the second egg, and by the time I got to the third egg, I figured it didn’t really matter. Like I said – flying-by-the-seat-of-my-pants.
4 – Next, I wrapped the paper around the egg and trimmed the extra paper so that there wasn’t too much overlap. Then, I cut slits in the paper about every .75 inches or so on both sides (as pictured!) all the way around.
5 – At this point, I just started “wrapping” the egg with the paper. I used my scissors, when necessary, to trim pieces of the paper that were just too long. And, of course, I really only trimmed paper on the first egg. After that, I figured it didn’t matter so much. I just didn’t want the paper to be too thick at either end.
6 – I smoothed it with my fingers so that the pretty pattern on the paper was nice and neat. I also rolled it around in my hands to kind of smoosh down the paper.
7 – My eggs were screaming out, “LET ME DRY!!” But, alas, I didn’t listen to them. And, that was okay, because it all worked out in the end. I simply applied a final coat of Mod Podge to the outside of the eggs to seal them up and make them a bit shiny. Since I am the impatient type, I used my heat gun to dry them in record time. AND, since I didn’t listen to their tiny little voices, some green fingerprints were discovered on the blue egg, so I covered up that “happy mistake” with a little flower and a shiny button. So cute! And, seriously, SOOOO easy. These probably took me about 45 minutes from start to finish. Pretty impressive for a fun little hybrid project!!
Other Articles by kelleighr:
- A Cupcake Shaped Box Challenge! - August 1st, 2011
- Love Is in the Air Mailbox - February 5th, 2010
- The Mini Bloom Box Tutorial - December 11th, 2009
- The Perfect Paper Apple! - October 10th, 2009
- Winners Announced!! - May 4th, 2009